Friday, February 10, 2006

Thermomist 200 Whole House Humidifier


The first winter after we moved into our new house, my wife and I knew we would need a whole house humidifier. We barely made it through the season with a small 3 gallon "personal use" one. The next fall I installed the Thermomist 2000! Impressive name, isn't it? When compared to the other humidifier systems I researched it actually is very impressive.

The Thermomist 2000 is different from most house humidifiers in that it sprays a very fine mist into the warm air flow of your furnace. All the others I looked at either used a filter or a disk setup to absorb and then release the water via passive evaporation. From all the reviews etc that I found on those other systems maintenance looked to be a major hassle. Not only did you have to replace the very expensive filters often, but you had to put bleach in the water tanks, and watch for algae build up. Not to mention when I looked at connecting them to the furnace it appeared I needed a master's degree in mechanical and electrical engineering along with a certification in HVAC!

These hassles are all missing with the Thermomist 2000. Since it introduces the water via a nozzle, there are no expensive filters to replace. Let me qualify that. You do have to replace an in-line water filter every year along with the nozzle, for a wallet breaking $12.50! Compared to the 100's of dollars it was going to be for other brands, not bad. And to change the nozzle it's 3 metal screws and 2 nuts to remove, along with one other nut to replace the in-line water filter.

So maintenance is a breeze. Takes 15-min a year, and that's including the time spent to order the parts online. Installation was also a breeze. The kit comes with everything you need except the tools to do the job. You will need a sheet metal shears, a couple open ended wrenches and a screw or nut driver. It took me about 1.5 hours to install the one at my house.

I only have one bad thing to say about this unit, and I'm not for sure it's even the fault of the Thermomist 2000. Due to the high calcium content of the water in my house a white crust has developed on my ductwork where it takes a sharp 90 degree turn. I have a feeling this would happen with any humidifier. But I can't give a complete glowing review.

Performance wise it does what it says it does. In just over 12 hours our house went from below 25% relative humidity to a comfortable 50%. I was so impressed I even talked my in-laws to buying one. After the practice on mine it only took about 45 minutes for me to hook theirs up!

I did find one small issue during the installation at my house. I have PVC piping and the tap valve that comes with the kit did not puncture the pipe cleanly. The needle created a sliver of PVC that partially blocked the valve. All I had to do to fix it was to take the valve off and drill the whole out with a corresponding drill bit. Problem solved.

Last but not least… Price $125.00! That was ½ the price of the next closest system! I couldn't say no, and I'm glad I didn't. Every time I have ordered a new nozzle (3 times now) my order has been processed quickly and correctly. I just can't say enough good things about this unit.


Rating (1-10): 10

Value: 10

Support: 10

Performs as expected: 10

Ease of use: 10

Availability: 10

3 Comments:

Blogger Alex1234 said...

The Thermomist2000 is not a great unit, or even a good unit. If you have a high iron/calcium content in your water, the tiny misting hole in the unit will QUICKLY clog up causing the thing not to work. It may be required to clean the nozzle assembly 3 times during the winter: and the cleaning takes much longer than 15 minutes. You must soak the nozzle in CLR inside an ultrasonic cleaner for 20 minutes, and that time does not include disassembly and reassembly.

In addition, when the unit begins to get clogged with calcium, the mister no longer sprays a fine mist, but instead spits droplets all over the inside of the ducting, which the collection unit cannot recapture. This makes a large mess on the inside of your ducting.

On a final note, the soleniod which allows water to flow to the unit will only last 5 years before you must replace it. The seal will weaken to the point where is allows water to flow weakly all the time. This can be potentially really bad news, depending on where the mister is mounted.

The waterpads on a typical whole house humidifier don't cost hundreds of dollars; they cost about 12 dollars, changed once per year, which is much better than the time and hassle than caused by a Thermomist unit.

Looks like the previous review was written by someone who works for FieldControls or Thermomist.

Think twice about buying one...

5:19 PM  
Blogger Alex1234 said...

The Thermomist2000 is not a great unit, or even a good unit. If you have a high iron/calcium content in your water, the tiny misting hole in the unit will QUICKLY clog up causing the thing not to work. It may be required to clean the nozzle assembly 3 times during the winter: and the cleaning takes much longer than 15 minutes. You must soak the nozzle in CLR inside an ultrasonic cleaner for 20 minutes, and that time does not include disassembly and reassembly.

In addition, when the unit begins to get clogged with calcium, the mister no longer sprays a fine mist, but instead spits droplets all over the inside of the ducting, which the collection unit cannot recapture. This makes a large mess on the inside of your ducting.

On a final note, the soleniod which allows water to flow to the unit will only last 5 years before you must replace it. The seal will weaken to the point where is allows water to flow weakly all the time. This can be potentially really bad news, depending on where the mister is mounted.

The waterpads on a typical whole house humidifier don't cost hundreds of dollars; they cost about 12 dollars, changed once per year, which is much better than the time and hassle than caused by a Thermomist unit.

Looks like the previous review was written by someone who works for FieldControls or Thermomist.

Think twice about buying one...

5:20 PM  
Blogger doggy said...

Do not buy a thermomist 2000. The misting jet is prone to plugging due to natural minerals in water. It can be cleaned with clr for example but has to be done often. When plugged it drips and will soak your ducting system.

Most importantly the control box malfunctioned and would not shut off completely soaking my furnace. It was not pumping but actually spraying under city line pressure alone. I had to replace the electrical control board and various other components as it was completely drenched by the time I caught it. The furnace was three years old.

Would not recommend this product to my worst enemy...

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home